This umami-rich combination will satisfy the most sophisticated of pallets
Perfect for cold winter evenings, this velvety sauce will seriously upgrade your steak game.
1 9-10oz (250-280g) rib eye steak
1 Tbsp butter
1 small banana shallot, sliced into quarters
1 Tbsp LBP Cherry&Black Pepper Preserve
1 red chili, halved lengthwise
1/4 tsp whole black peppercorns, crushed
Steamed vegetables of your choice
1. Place a heavy bottom frying pan over high heat. Season the stake generously with salt and pepper.
2. When the pan is hot, tip in the butter and fry the steak to your liking: 2 minutes on both sides for rare, 3-4 minutes for medium, 6 minutes for well done, turning it every 30 seconds during the entire frying time.
3. Take the steak out of the pan and leave to rest on a warm plate while you prepare the sauce.
4. Turn the heat down to medium and add the chili and shallots to the pan, stirring often, until caramelized and soft. Add a teaspoon of water if it starts to catch too much.
5. To finish, add 1 Tbsp LBP Cherry&Black Pepper Preserve, breaking the cherries up a bit using back of your spoon.
6. Spoon half of the sauce over your serving plate, add the stake and vegetables, then spoon over the remaining sauce.
Before you start, take your steak out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature in its original packaging, around 30 minutes.